- Copper iodide
- Copper monoiodide
- Cuprous iodide
- Natural marshite
Odorless tan or off-white solid.
Used as a catalyst in organic reactions.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 26 36
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
100 (656 C)
Solubility in water
0.000112/K (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Reduce airborne dust and prevent scattering by moistening with water. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, alkali metals, potassium, acetylene.
Hydrogen iodide, iodine.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Substance is noncombustible. May form very sensitive, explosive metallic compounds. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Irritating hydrogen iodide or iodine vapors may form in fire.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed. Cretinism and goiter have been reported in children whose mothers were taking iodides.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May be harmful if swallowed.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2827 60 00