Copper(II) nitrate trihydrate
- Cupric nitrate trihydrate
- Nitric acid copper salt trihydrat
blue rhombohedral crystals
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
harmful, irritant, dangerous for the environment
R 8 22 34
S 17 26 36/37/39 45
CuN2O6 . 3 H2O
Vapor density (air=1)
2.32 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
2670 g/L (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Contents may develop pressure upon prolonged storage. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Reducing agents, combustible materials, potassium ferrocyanide, ether, tin. Ignites paper spontaneously in the presence of moisture.
Oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, copper fumes.
During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes. Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) to prevent contact with thermal decomposition products. Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, orappropriate foam.
Oxidizer. Greatly increases the burning rate of combustible materials.
Vapors may be heavier than air. They can spread along the ground and collect in low or confined areas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
3 (Strong toxins)
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. May cause liver and kidney damage. Individuals with Wilson's disease are unable to metabolize copper. Thus, copper accumulates in various tissues and may result in liver, kidney, and brain damage.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause hemorrhaging of the digestive tract.
May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum if inhaled in excessive quantities. May cause severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with pain, burns, and inflammation.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns. May cause dermatitis. May cause skin discoloration.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. Contact may cause ulceration of the conjunctiva and cornea.
Induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2834 29 30