- Copper phosphate (3:2)
- Cupric phosphate
- Tricopper bis(orthophosphate)
Solid; bluish-green powder.
Fungicide, catalyst for organic reactions, fertilizer, emulsifier, corrosion inhibitor for phosphoric acid, protectant for metal surfaces against oxidation.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Solubility in water
insoluble in cold water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed.
Gastroenteritis with vomiting may occur after ingestion of some copper salts. Mucosal erosions, a metallic taste, burning epigastric sensation and diarrhea may also occur.
Metal fume fever, wheezing and rales have been reported in workers exposed to fine copper dust. Dyspnea has developed after oral copper exposure. Pulmonary edema and alveolar inflammation have been noted in animals.
Skin exposure can produce in severe irritation, itching, erythema, dermatitis and eczema; systemic toxicity may result.
Following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child). Vomiting is rapid and spontaneous in most patients following ingestion of copper salts. Ipecac is contraindicated after ingestion of caustic copper salts because of the risk of further injury to the gastrointestinal mucosa and the possibility of severe cns changes.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash exposed area with soap and water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Flush eyes gently with water for at least 15 minutes while holding eyelids apart; seek immediate medical attention.