Copper(II) sulfate, basic
- Sulfuric acid, copper(2+) salt, basic
- Copper subsulfate
- Tri-basic copper sulfate
- Fixed copper
Light greenish-blue powder. Odorless.
Fungicide for plants, seed treatment.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store near any material intended for use or consumption by humans or animals. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
Chemical goggles should be worn when handling. Wear clean long sleeved shirt and long pants, shoes and socks and waterproof gloves,. Launder contaminated clothing separately.
Wear appropriate NIOSH/MSA dust mask if exposure limit would be exceeded
Sweep up or vacuum. Create a minimum of dust in clean up operations. Observe the personal protective equipment recommendations during clean up.
Stable under normal storage conditions.
Magnesium produces hydrogen. Hydroxylammine may ignite when mixed with anhydrous copper sulfate. Sodium hypobromite solutions are decomposed by catalytic action of cupric ions.
Oxides of copper and sulfur may occur with thermal decomposition.
Dry chemical, CO2, water fog, foam. Prevent human exposure to fire, smoke, fumes or products of decomposition. Wear self contained breathing apparatus and full cover protective clothing. Water spray to cool product is preferred to directed high pressure streams.
Dust- air mixtures may ignite or explode.
OSHA PEL 1 mg/m3 as Cu.
Repeated or prolonged inhalation of dust, mist or fumes of copper may cause irritation of the upper respiratory tract and occasionally ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum. Depending on concentration and duration of contact, repeated or exposure to eyes may result in symptoms as in acute exposure Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis. Rarely, sensitization to copper may occur. Repeated ingestion of copper salts may result in anemia, liver and kidney damage.
May result in irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, nausea, vomiting, salivation, gastric pain, hemorrhagic gastritis, diarrhea, capillary damage, liver and kidney damage, and central nervous system stimulation, followed by depression. Jaundice, pain in the liver, and hemolytic anemia have been reported following acute human poisonings.
Strong irritant to nose and throat. Inhalation of dust and spray mist my cause irritation of upper respiratory tract. Excessive exposure may cause cough, mucous production, shortness of breath reflecting metal fume fever.
Slight skin irritant. Excessive exposure, especially if prolonged, may produce skin irritation. Repeated exposure may cause allergic contact dermatitis.
Severe eye irritant. May be corrosive to eyes. Causes substantial but temporary eye injury.
Wash mouth with water and expectorate. Drink 1 or 2 glasses of water and induce vomiting by touching back of throat with finger . Do not induce vomiting or give anything by mouth to an unconscious patient. Get professional medical attention immediately.
Remove victim to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration preferably mouth to mouth. Get professional medical attention immediately.
Exposure: Remove contaminated clothing and shoes Wash thoroughly with soap and water until no evidence of chemical remains. If irritation occurs see a physician.
Hold eyelids open and flush with water, remove contact lenses and then continue flushing until no evidence of chemical remains. (at least 15-20 minutes). Get professional medical attention immediately.