Copper(II) sulfate, pentahydrate
- Cupric sulfate pentahydrate
- Blue vicking
- Blue vitriol
- Blue copperas
Blue crystalline granules or powder. Odorless. White when dehydrated.
Algaecide, Fungicide, Insecticide, Water Treatment, Molluscicide, Nematicide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
harmful, irritant, dangerous for the environment
R 22 36/38 50/53
S 22 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen; Human Data
CuO4S . 5 H2O
Vapor density (air=1)
2.284 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
316 g/L (20 C)
7.8 (17 - 22 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Do not expose to air. Store protected from moisture. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not ingest or inhale. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Place under an inert atmosphere.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Air sensitive
Moisture, air, steel, finely powdered metals, hydroxylamine, magnesium, hydrazine, nitromethane.
Oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxides of copper, copper fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Substance is noncombustible. This material in sufficient quantity and reduced particle size is capable of creating a dust explosion. Extinguishing media: Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Containers may explode when heated.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
3 (Strong toxins)
Prolonged or repeated eye contact may cause conjunctivitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause anemia and other blood cell abnormalities. Individuals with Wilson's disease are unable to metabolize copper. Thus, copper accumulates in various tissues and may result in liver, kidney, and brain damage. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. May cause allergic skin reaction in some individuals. Chronic copper poisoning in man is recognized in the form of Wilson's disease.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. Ingestion of large amounts of copper salts may cause bloody stools and vomit, low blood pressure, jaundice and coma. Ingestion of copper compounds may produce systemic toxic effects to the kidney and liver and central nervous excitation followed by depression.
May cause ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum if inhaled in excessive quantities. Causes respiratory tract irritation with possible burns.
May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Causes skin irritation and possible burns. May cause itching eczema.
Exposure to particulates or solution may cause conjunctivitis, ulceration, and corneal abnormalities. Causes eye irritation and possible burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
2833 25 00