Reddish, lustrous metal, odorless.
Fungicide, electrical wiring, coinage.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 26 36
Tumorigen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1 at 1628 C
8.94 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1290 erg/cm2 (112 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Do not expose to air.
Does not meet criteria
Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Explosive peroxides may form on concentration.
Liquid copper explodes on contact with water. Reacts violently with ammonium nitrate, bromates, iodates, chlorates, ethylene oxide, hydrazoic acid, potassium oxide, dimethyl sulfoxide + trichloroacetic acid, hydrogen peroxide, sodium peroxide, sodium azide, sulfuric acid, hydrogen sulfide + air, and lead azide. Ignites on contact with chlorine, fluorine (above 121C), chlorine trifluoride, and hydrazinium nitrate (above 70C). Incompatible with 1-bromo-2-propyne, potassium dioxide, and actylenic compounds.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Material can spontaneously ignite (pyrophoric) when exposed to air at normal or slightly elevated temperatures. Extinguishing media: Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Quite hazardous in powdered form.
Oxides from metallic fires are a severe health hazard. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
OSHA PEL: TWA 1 mg/m3 NIOSH REL: TWA 1 mg/m3 *Note: PEL and REL also apply to other copper compounds (as Cu) except Copper fume. NIOSH IDLH: 100 mg/m3 (as Cu)
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause lung damage.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver and kidney damage.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count.
Causes skin irritation. May cause skin discoloration.
Causes eye irritation.
Induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
7410 11 00