- Croton resin
- Croton tiglium L. oil
- Oils, croton
- Olin di croton (Italian)
Colorless liquid with an unpleasant odor. A mixture of esters (the glycerides of stearic, palmitic myristic, lauric and oleic acids) and croton resin.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Natural Product; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
0.946 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter. Splash proof safety goggles should be worn while handling this chemical. Alternatively, a full face respirator, equipped as above, may be used to provide simultaneous eye and respiratory protection.
If you should spill this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION, then use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with acetone followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Interaction with caustic solutions Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products.
Fire Extinguishing Agents Not to Be Used: Water may be ineffective.Fire Extinguishing Agents: Dry chemical, foam, carbon dioxide
This chemical is probably combustible.
Contact of liquid with eyes causes severe irritation. May induce severe skin irritation, inflammation, swelling, and pustule formation. Absorption through the skin may cause purging. Ingestion causes burning of the mouth and stomach and drastic purging, possibly leading to collapse and death. Small doses have a strong laxative effect.
For gastrointestinal symptoms, use demulcents; further treatment is symptomatic; do NOT induce vomiting.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
Remove as much liquid as possible from skin by use of a good solvent such as acetone or alcohol; wash with soap and water.
Flush with water; a 2.5% hydroxycortisone ointment is recommended.
USCG CHRIS Code