- Copper formate
- Cupric diformate
Blue crystalline powder.
As antibacterial agent in treatment of cellulose.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Decomposition point, °C
Solubility in water
12.5 g/100 ml cold water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep containers tightly closed, store in a well-ventilated area, away from heat and moisture.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Loses 2h2o on standing in air dihydrate.
Reacts as bases to neutralize acids.
Fire Extinguishing Agents: Water
OSHA: PEL (8 h TWA): 1 mg/m3.
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed. Acute exposure - neurologic: central nervous system depression can occur following exposure. Coma and muscle contractions may be present with severe intoxication.
Gastroenteritis with vomiting may occur after ingestion of some copper salts. Mucosal erosions, a metallic taste, burning epigastric sensation and diarrhea may also occur.
Metal fume fever, wheezing and rales have been reported in workers exposed to fine copper dust. Dyspnea has developed after oral copper exposure. Pulmonary edema and alveolar inflammation have been noted in animals.
Skin exposure can produce in severe irritation, itching, erythema, dermatitis and eczema; systemic toxicity may result.
Following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child). Vomiting is rapid and spontaneous in most patients following ingestion of copper salts. Ipecac is contraindicated after ingestion of caustic copper salts because of the risk of further injury to the gastrointestinal mucosa and the possibility of severe cns changes.
Remove from exposure.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash exposed area with soap and water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
Flush with copious amounts of water.
USCG CHRIS Code