Cupric nitrate hydrate
- Copper(II) nitrate hemipentahydrate
- Copper(II) nitrate, 2.5 hydrate
Cu2(NO3)2 . 2.5H2O
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
>1.0 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Contents may develop pressure upon prolonged storage. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Wear impervious gloves. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, copper fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes. Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) to prevent contact with thermal decomposition products. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Extinguishing media: Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death. Individuals with Wilson's disease are unable to metabolize copper. Thus, copper accumulates in various tissues and may result in liver, kidney, and brain damage.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause hemorrhaging of the digestive tract. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum if inhaled in excessive quantities. May cause severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with pain, burns, and inflammation. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns. May cause dermatitis. May cause skin discoloration.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. Contact may cause ulceration of the conjunctiva and cornea. May cause conjunctivitis. May cause permanent corneal opacification.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.