- Ethanedioic acid, copper salt
Odorless bluish-white solid.
As catalyst for organic reactions, as stabilizer for acetylated polyformaldehyde, in seed treatments to repel birds and rodents.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
12.4 (123 C)
3.01 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
ELIMINATE all ignition sources. Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Reacts as an acid to neutralize other bases as well.
Dangerous when heated to decomposition they emit toxic and irritating fumes oxalates.
Extinguish using agent most appropriate for surrounding fire.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Toxic carbon monoxide gas may form in fire.
NIOSH REL*: TWA 1 mg/m3 OSHA PEL*: TWA 1 mg/m3 [*Note: REL and PEL also apply to other copper compounds (as Cu) except copper fume.] IDLH 100 mg/m3 (as Cu)
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed.
Gastroenteritis with vomiting may occur after ingestion of some copper salts. Mucosal erosions, a metallic taste, burning epigastric sensation and diarrhea may also occur.
Metal fume fever, wheezing and rales have been reported in workers exposed to fine copper dust. Dyspnea has developed after oral copper exposure. Pulmonary edema and alveolar inflammation have been noted in animals.
Skin exposure can produce in severe irritation, itching, erythema, dermatitis and eczema; systemic toxicity may result.
Give large amount of water; induce vomiting; get medical attention.
Remove to fresh air; if exposure has been prolonged, watch for symptoms of oxalate poisoning (nausea, shock, collapse, and convulsions).
Flush with water.
Flush with water for at least 15 min.
USCG CHRIS Code