- 2,3-dihydroxybutanedioic acid, copper salt
- Copper [R-(R*,R*)]-tartrate
A green to blue odorless powder.
In baths for copper electroplating.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
>1 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep containers tightly closed in a well ventilated area away from food products. Keep away from heat and water.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Land spill: Dig a pit, pond, lagoon, holding area to contain liquid or solid material. Cover solids with a plastic sheet to prevent dissolving in rain or fire fighting water. Water spill: If dissolved, in region of 10 ppm or greater concentration, apply activated carbon at ten times the spilled amount. Use mechanical dredges or lifts to remove immobilized masses of pollutants and precipitates.
Reacts as acid to neutralize bases.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.)
May burn but does not ignite readily.
Some may burn but none ignite readily. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Containers may explode when heated. Some may be transported hot.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL*: TWA 1 mg/m3 OSHA PEL*: TWA 1 mg/m3 [*Note: REL and PEL also apply to other copper compounds (as Cu) except copper fume.] IDLH 100 mg/m3 (as Cu)
Increased temperature may be noted in some cases. Abnormally low blood pressure may occur. Mental status may be depressed.
Gastroenteritis with vomiting may occur after ingestion of some copper salts. Mucosal erosions, a metallic taste, burning epigastric sensation and diarrhea may also occur.
Metal fume fever, wheezing and rales have been reported in workers exposed to fine copper dust. Dyspnea has developed after oral copper exposure. Pulmonary edema and alveolar inflammation have been noted in animals.
Skin exposure can produce in severe irritation, itching, erythema, dermatitis and eczema; systemic toxicity may result.
Following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child). Vomiting is rapid and spontaneous in most patients following ingestion of copper salts. Ipecac is contraindicated after ingestion of caustic copper salts because of the risk of further injury to the gastrointestinal mucosa and the possibility of severe cns changes.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Wash with water.
Flush with water.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #