- Malonic mononitrile
Yellow-brown liquid with an unpleasant odor.
Synthesis of intermediates, manufacture barbital.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
harmful, corrosive, dangerous for the environment
R 20/21/22 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
8E-5 (25 C)
> 1.1 g/cm3 (20 C) (solid)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Corrosives area.
Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Take precautionary measures against static discharges. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Use with adequate ventilation. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acetonitrile.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dusts at sufficient concentrations can form explosive mixtures with air. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. In case of fire use dry chemical, dry sand, or carbon dioxide.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Toxic oxides of nitrogen and toxic and flammable acetonitrile vapors may form in fire.
Headache, dizziness, confusion, agitation, weakness, seizures, and coma have been reported.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code
2926 90 95