Clear, colorless liquid with a faint ether-like odor..
Solvent for lacquers and resins, paint intermediate & varnish remover, in the extraction of essential oils, in analytical chemical for molecular wt determination, in the manufacture of adipic acid, benzene, cyclohexanone, cyclohexanol, cyclohexyl chloride, nitrocyclohexane, solid fuel for camp stoves, in industrial recrystallization of steroids, in fungicidal formulations- has slight fungicidal action.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Harmful; Irritant; Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness; Dangerous for the Environment
R 11 38 50/53 65 67
S 9 16 33 60 61 62
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
98 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
101300 ppm (10.13%) at 20 C (calc.)
3.5 (diethyl ether = 1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 25 ppm
0.7785 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.98 cp @ 20C
24.99 g/s2 (20 C)
1.4264 (20 C)
2.05 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not reuse this container. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear neoprene gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear nitrile-latex gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Wear a self contained breathing apparatus and appropriate Personal protection. (See Exposure Controls, Personal Protection section). Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents, nitrogen dioxide.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: Water may be ineffective. This material is lighter than water and insoluble in water. The fire could easily be spread by the use of water in an area where the water cannot be contained. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water. Substance may be transported hot.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV: 300 ppm; 1030 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1993-1994). OSHA PEL: TWA 300 ppm (1050 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 300 ppm (1050 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 1300 ppm LEL
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. May cause vascular collapse and damage. Aspiration of material into the lungs may cause chemical pneumonitis, which may be fatal.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be fatal if exposed to high concentrations.
May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. May cause irritation with burning pain, itching and redness.
May cause mild eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Possible aspiration hazard. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.