Colorless - clear, colorless liquid. Naphthalene-like - turpentine odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 20 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Vapor density (air=1)
3 mPa s 20 C
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. After opening, purge container with nitrogen before reclosing. Periodically test for peroxide formation on long-term storage. Addition of water or appropriate reducing materials will lessen peroxide formation.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. If peroxide formation is suspected, do not open or move container. Do not use if the material has evaporated to dryness. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Prolonged exposure to air and sunlight may form unstable peroxides.
Strong oxidizing agents. It is volatile on contact with steam.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Forms peroxides of unknown stability. Combustible Liquid. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray or fog. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis. Effects may be delayed.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Aspiration of material into the lungs may cause chemical pneumonitis, which may be fatal. May cause blue or greenish-brown urine.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause kidney damage. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema. High concentrations may cause pulmonary edema and lung hemmorrages.
Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. Exposure may cause irritation and possible burns. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
2845 90 10