- Dichloroethanoyl chloride
- 2,2-Dichloroacetyl chloride
Colorless liquid with a pungent odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 35 50
S 9 26 45 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.5315 g/cm3 (16 C)
Solubility in water
1.4638 (16 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. Do not get water on spilled substances or inside containers. Use water spray to reduce vapors or divert vapor cloud drift.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Combustible Liquid. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic, or corrosive gases and runoff. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical, dry sand, or alcohol-resistant foam.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Abnormal neuropsychologic function has been reported following hydrochloric acid exposure from a leaking tanker truck.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May cause abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and inflammation of the gums and mouth.
Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns. Lachrymator.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
2915 90 80
Std. Transport #