- Bis(alpha,alpha-dimethylbenzyl) peroxide
- Peroxide, bis(1-methyl-1-phenylethyl)
White powder with a characteristic odor.
Vulcanizing agent for natural & synthetic rubber, crosslinking agent for polyethylene, synergist for flame retardants in polystyrene foams, curing agent for silicone rubber.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Oxidising; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
R 7 36/38 51/53
S 3/7 14.11 36/37/39 61
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
8E-5 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.0841 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.5374 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Safety measures for organic peroxides are dictated by their individual sensitivity to heat, friction, shock, and contamination. Peroxides should be stored in their original containers in a ventilated place separated from other materials and protected from flame, static electricity, sparks, sources of heat (for example steam-pipes, radiators or direct sunlight), shock, or friction. The max recommended storage temperature is 38C or less.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Workmen should wear rubber boots. Organic peroxides persons handling organic peroxides should use safety glasses with side shields, for eye protection. Emergency eyewash facilities should be provided. Gloves, aprons, and other protective clothing as necessary should be used to prevent skin contact. Clothing and equipment that generates static electricity should be avoided.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
ELIMINATE all ignition sources (no smoking, flares, sparks or flames in immediate area). Keep combustibles (wood, paper, oil, etc.) away from spilled material. Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Keep substance wet using water spray. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. SMALL SPILLS: Take up with inert, damp, noncombustible material using clean non-sparking tools and place into loosely covered plastic containers for later disposal.
Very insensitive to shock and friction.
Upon contact with reducing materials, such as organic matter or thiocyanates, an explosion can occur.
When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
SMALL FIRES: Water spray or fog is preferred; if water not available use dry chemical, carbon dioxide or regular foam. LARGE FIRES: Flood fire area with water from a distance. Use water spray or fog; do not use straight streams. Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. Do not move cargo or vehicle if cargo has been exposed to heat. Fight fire from maximum distance or use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. ALWAYS stay away from tanks engulfed in fire. For massive fire, use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles; if this is impossible, withdraw from area and let fire burn.
Ignites slowly, burns vigorously. May ignite organic material on contact all organic peroxides are highly flammable, and fires involving bulk quantities of peroxides should be approached with extreme caution. Organic peroxides dangerous fire hazard by chemical reaction with reducing agents or exposure to heat.
May explode from heat or contamination. May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Abnormally low blood pressure and apnea have been reported with severe poisonings. Cerebral edema, cerebral gas embolism, cerebral infarction, and seizures have been reported following ingestion of concentrated (35%) solutions. Death has been reported as a result of embolic cerebrovascular injury.
Serious gi complications have resulted from the ingestion of concentrated solutions and enemas with dilute peroxide solutions.
Inhalation of vapors from concentrated (greater than 10%) solutions may result in severe pulmonary irritation. Interstitial lung disease and respiratory arrest have also been reported following massive exposures.
Dermal exposure to dilute (3%) solutions generally results in a bleaching of the affected area in association with a tingling sensation and lasts 2 to 3 hours, if washed promptly after contact.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
2909 60 00