- Phthalic acid, dicyclohexyl ester
- 1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, dicyclohexylester
White, granular solid, mildly aromatic odor.
Plasticizer for nitrocellulose, ethyl cellulose, chlorinated rubber, polyvinyl acetate, polyvinyl chloride, and other polymers.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
62 - 64
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2E-7 (25 C)
1.383 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
solid at 20C
1.431 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Use of garments to protect workmen from irritation due to contact with phthalic anhydride which is used in the manufacturing process of phthalic acid esters; the use of gloves to prevent contamination of the hand and lower arm. Synth of phthalates require good ventilation in order to minimize contamination of air with phthalic anhydride or alcohols. There may be also some need for skin protection. Handling mineral acids used as catalysts requires ordinary precautions.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
Should a spill occur while you are handling this chemical, you should dampen the solid spill material with alcohol, then transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with alcohol to pick up any remaining material. Seal the absorbent paper, and any of your clothes, which may be contaminated, in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with alcohol followed by washing with a strong soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminate area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products Reacts with oxidizers.
Thermal decomposition products of dicyclohexyl phthalate (major constituent of the film label adhesive are cyclohexanol, cyclohexyl ether, phthalic anhydride and cyclohexyl benzoate. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating vapors.
This compound is not very flammable but any fire involving this compound may produce dangerous vapors. You should evacuate the area. All firefighters should wear full-body protective clothing and use self-contained breathing apparatuses. You should extinguish any fires involving this chemical with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide, foam, or halon extinguisher.
This chemical is combustible.
Central nervous system depression may occur with ingestion of large amounts.
Gi tract or esophageal irritation may occur.
Respiratory irritation is uncommon, but possible.
Dermal irritation may sometimes develop.
Irritation of eyes, nose, and throat may occur.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
2917 34 00