Registry Numbers and Inventories.
10 14 20/21/22 34
16 26 27 28 36/37/39 45
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
4.2 (25 C)
2.834 g/cm3 (25 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Keep away from heat and open flame. Handle and store under nitrogen. Incompatible Materials: Do not allow contact with water. Store at 2 - 8 C.
Compatible chemical-resistant gloves. Chemical safety goggles. Protective clothing. Faceshield (8-inch minimum).
Wear appropriate government approved respirator.
Absorb on sand or vermiculite and place in closed containers for disposal. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
Do not allow water to enter container because of violent reaction.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Silicon oxide, hydrogen iodide.
For small (incipient) fires, use media such as alcohol foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. For large fires, apply water from as far as possible. Use very large quantities (flooding) of water applied as a mist or spray; solid streams of water may be ineffective. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Corrosive, Combustible liquid.
Water hydrolyzes material liberating acidic gas which in contact with metal surfaces can generate flammable and/or explosive hydrogen gas. Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions. Harmful liquid and fumes.
Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Inhalation may result in spasm, inflammation and edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Material is extremely destructive to tissue of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract, eyes, and skin.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
In case of contact, immediately wash skin with soap and copious amounts of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.