Colorless liquid with a mild peppermint odor.
Solvent for nitrocellulose, for milled crepe rubber, vinylite, synthetic coatings and as a dispersant for organosol type resins, intermediate in synthesis of inhibitors, pharmaceuticals, dyes, & insecticides.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
R 10 37
Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1.7 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
9.3 g/m3 at 20 C
0.2 (butyl acetate = 1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold < 0.11 ppm
0.806 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.32 cp (0 C)
23.92 g/s2 (22 C)
1.4101 (20 C)
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. However, forms peroxides of unknown stability.
Strong oxidizers. May attack some forms of plastic, rubber and coatings.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. In case of fire, use water fog, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or regular foam. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV: 25 ppm; 145 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1997). OSHA PEL: TWA 50 ppm (290 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 25 ppm (150 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 500 ppm
Chronic exposure may cause skin effects. May cause liver and kidney effects based upon studies with laboratory animals.
Causes irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing, dizziness, dullness, nausea, vomiting and headache. Higher concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness. The odor of this material is recognized at levels well below those which cause adverse effects and should be sufficient warning against overexposure.
May cause irritation with redness and pain.
Liquid and vapor causes irritation, redness, and pain.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.