Colorless liquid with a fishy, ammonia-like odor.
Catalyst, synthetic intermediate.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Harmful; Corrosive
R 11 20/22 34
S 16 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
74 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
6.6% at 20 C
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 1.8 ppm
0.717 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.40 cp @ 25C
19.64 g/s2 @ 20 C
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Protect against physical damage. Store in a cool, dry well-ventilated location, away from any area where the fire hazard may be acute. Outside or detached storage is preferred. Separate from incompatibles. Containers should be bonded and grounded for transfers to avoid static sparks. Storage and use areas should be No Smoking areas
B2 D1A E
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Use a full facepiece respirator with organic vapor cartridge may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acids, oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam.
Extremely flammable liquid.
Vapors are heavier than air and may travel to a source of ignition and flash back. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire.
Toxic oxides of nitrogen may form in fires.
TLV: 5 ppm; 21 mg/m3 (skin) (ACGIH 1996). OSHA PEL: TWA 5 ppm (20 mg/m3) skin NIOSH REL: TWA 5 ppm (20 mg/m3) skin NIOSH IDLH: 200 ppm
Chronic inhalation may cause lung problems. Prolonged or repeated skin exposure may cause dermatitis.
Harmful if swallowed. Symptoms may parallel those from inhalation. Corrosive. Swallowing can cause severe burns of the mouth, throat, and stomach. Can cause sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea.
Respiratory irritant. Vapors irritate the nose, throat, and respiratory tract. Other symptoms may include headache, vision problems, and nausea. High concentrations can cause pulmonary edema.
Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. Causes severe skin irritation and burns.
Exposure to concentrations between 25 and 50 ppm may cause disturbances of vision described as haziness. Causes severe eye irritation and possible burns. May cause temporary visual impairment.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.