- Bis(1-methylethyl)phenyl hydroperoxide
Liquid; colorless to pale yellow; sharp, unpleasant odor.
Chemical intermediate for hydroquinone (para-isomer).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
0.956 g/cm3 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Materials which are toxic as stored or which can decompose into toxic components.Should be stored in a cool, well ventilated place, out of the direct rays of the sun, away from areas of high fire hazard, and should be periodically inspected. Incompatible materials should be isolated.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate clothing to prevent any reasonable probability of skin contact. Wear eye protection to prevent any possibility of eye contact.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Stop discharge if possible. Keep people away. Avoid contact with liquid and vapor. Isolate and remove discharged material. Notify local health and pollution control agencies.
Aluminum, copper, brass, lead, zinc salts, mineral acids, oxidizing or reducing agents all can cause rapid decomp.
Extinguish with dry chemicals, foam or carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective on fire. Cool exposed containers with water.
This material is combustible.
Will increase the intensity of a fire. May cause fire on contact with combustibles. Containers may explode in fire. Flammable alcohol and ketone gases are formed in fire. Burns with a flare effect. Containers may explode.
Flammable alcohol and ketone gases are formed in fire.
Abnormally low blood pressure and apnea have been reported with severe poisonings. Cerebral edema, cerebral gas embolism, cerebral infarction, and seizures have been reported following ingestion of concentrated (35%) solutions. Death has been reported as a result of embolic cerebrovascular injury.
Burns of the esophagus and less commonly the stomach may occur after caustic ingestion; the absence of oral mucosal injury does not reliably exclude esophageal burns. Patients with stridor, drooling or vomiting are more likely to have esophageal burns.
Stridor, dyspnea, upper airway injury, and pulmonary edema, especially following inhalation of vaporized caustics, may occur.
Severe skin irritation and/or burns may occur.
Ingestion may result in burns to the lips, tongue, oral mucosa, and upper airway. Alkaline eye exposures produce distortion of cellular membranes, loss of corneal, the mucous membrane that lines the inner surface of the eyelid and the exposed surface of the eyeballl and lens epithelium and loss of endothelium of the cornea and blood vessels.
Mucosal if no respiratory compromise is present, dilute immediately with milk or water; no more than 8 ounces in adults and 4 ounces in children. Gastric ipecac contraindicated. Consider insertion of a small, flexible nasogastric or orogastric tube to suction gastric contents after recent large ingestions; the risk of further mucosal injury must be weighed against potential benefits.
Move to fresh air; call a doctor.
Wash several times with soap and water.
Flush with water for 15 minutes, holding eyelids open; call physician.
USCG CHRIS Code