- Dimethyl 2-methylsuccinate
- Butanedioic acid, 2-methyl-, 1,4-dimethyl ester
- Methylsuccinic acid dimethyl ester
- (Methyl)butanedioic acid dimethyl ester
- Pyrotartaric acid, dimethyl ester
- Dimethyl (+/-)-2-methylsuccinate
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.41 (25 C)
1.076 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
27 g/L (25 C)
1.42 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Keep away from heat and open flame.
Compatible chemical-resistant gloves. Chemical safety goggles. Protective clothing.
Use respirators and components tested and approved under appropriate government standards such as NIOSH (US) or CEN (EU). Where risk assessment shows air-purifying respirators are appropriate use a full-face respirator with multi-purpose combination (US) or type ABEK (EN 14387) respirator cartridges as a backup to engineering controls. If the respirator is the sole means of protection, use a full-face supplied air respirator.
Cover with dry-lime, sand, or soda ash. Place in covered containers using non-sparking tools and transport outdoors. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Oxides of carbon.
For small (incipient) fires, use media such as alcohol foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. For large fires, apply water from as far as possible. Use very large quantities (flooding) of water applied as a mist or spray; solid streams of water may be ineffective. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions.
May be harmful if swallowed.
May be harmful if inhaled. Material may be irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.
May cause irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
May cause irritation.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
In case of contact, immediately wash skin with soap and copious amounts of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.