- Zinc dimethyl
Mobile liquid, with peculiar garlic odor.
Vulcanization acceleration, fungicide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Reacts violently with water; Highly flammable; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
123 (0 C)
1.38 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.807 cp at 70 deg f
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not use water. Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Keep material dry.
Stable in sealed tube and under carbon dioxide.
Reacts spontaneously with air or oxygen and violently with water, evolving methane. Explodes in an oxygen atmosphere. Explosive reaction on contact with water; 2,2-dichloropropane.
When heated to decomposition, emits toxic fumes of zinc oxide.
Do not extinguish fire unless flow can be stopped. Do not use water. Use graphite, soda ash, powdered sodium chloride, or suitable dry powder.
Ignites in air (owing to peroxide formation).
Contact with water applied to adjacent fires will intensify fire.
Smoke contains zinc oxide, which can irritate lungs and cause metal fume fever.
Headache, myalgias, weakness, and paresthesias in both feet have been reported.
Ingestion - zinc salts (especially zinc sulfate) produce gastritis ranging from a burning pain in the mouth and throat to intense gastric and substernal pain, strictures, violent vomiting, diarrhea, shock, and possible death.
Inhalation of decomposition products may cause severe injury or death.
Hives may rarely occur.
Flushing, dry throat, blurred vision, and stiff neck have been reported. A sweet or metallic taste is common.
Seek medical assistance.
Highly unlikely, as liquid or vapor either ignites spontaneously or reacts with moisture to form methane and zinc oxide. Move victim to clean air and administer mouth-to-mouth resuscitation if breathing has ceased; give oxygen only when authorized by physician; keep victim warm and comfortable; call physician immediately.
Immediately flush affected area with large volumes of water; do not attempt to neutralize with chemicals; get medical attention if irritation persists.
In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #