Dimethylamine, aqueous solution
A colorless solution smelling of fish at low concentrations. An aqueous solution with dimethylamine being in the 25 - 40% by weight range. Physical constants are for the anhydrous material.
Accelerator in vulcanizing rubber, tanning, manufacture detergent soaps, attracting boll weevils to exterminate them former use, reagent for magnesium.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Extremely flammable; Harmful; Corrosive
R 12 20 36/38 41
S 16 26 39
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1520 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 47 ppb
Solubility in water
1.7 cp @ 15.5C
26.34 g/s2 @ 25 C
Partition coefficient, pKow
0.0018/K at 20 C
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Protect against physical damage. Outside or detached storage is preferable. Inside storage of liquid solutions should be in a standard flammable liquids storage room or cabinet. Insure against accidental contact with mercury.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Do not ingest or inhale. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles. Always wear thermal protective clothing when handling refrigerated/cryogenic liquids.
A half-face respirator with an ammonia/methylamine cartridge may be worn for up to ten times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. A full-face piece respirator with an ammonia/methylamine cartridge may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit, or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency, or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator.
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Attempt to stop leak if without undue personnel hazard. Use water spray to knock-down vapors. Vapor knockdown water is corrosive or toxic and should be diked for containment. Land spill: Dig a pit, pond, lagoon, holding area to contain liquid or solid material. Dike surface flow using soil, sand bags, foamed polyurethane, or foamed concrete. Absorb bulk liquid with fly ash, cement powder, or commercial sorbents. Neutralize with sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4).
Vapor forms explosive mixtures with air. Highly reactive. Contact with mercury can produce an explosive reaction.
Reacts violently with acids, acrylaldehyde, maleic anhydride, oxidizing agents, mercury, some metals, chlorine, fluorine, nitrates, nitric acid, permanganates, halogens, and peroxides. Incompatible with aluminum, tin, copper, galvinized iron, and zinc.
Products of decomposition include carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrocarbons and toxic oxides of nitrogen as well as toxic amine vapors.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Do not extinguish fire unless flow can be stopped. Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Extinguish using dry chemical, alcohol foam or carbon dioxide. wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.
Extremely flammable liquid and vapor.
Flashback along vapor trail may occur. May explode if ignited in an enclosed area. Vapors are eye, skin and respiratory irritants.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide) may be released in a fire.
TLV (as TWA): 10 ppm; 18 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1992-1993). MAK: 10 ppm; 18 mg/m3; (1992). OSHA PEL: TWA 10 ppm (18 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 10 ppm (18 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 500 ppm
Chronic exposure may cause dermatitis, conjunctivitis, and lung problems.
Corrosive. Swallowing can cause severe burns of the mouth, throat, and stomach. Can cause sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea.
Inhalation produces damaging effects on the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Symptoms may include irritation of the nose and throat, and labored breathing. May cause lung edema, a medical emergency.
Corrosive. Symptoms of redness, pain, and severe burn can occur. May be absorbed through the skin causing nausea, headache and general discomfort.
Vapors are highly irritating and can cause corneal damage. Contact with liquid can cause severe burns and blindness.
This compound is a gas, therefore inhalation is the first route of exposure.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
CAUTION: Exposure of skin to compressed gases may result in freezing of the skin. Treatment for frostbite may be necessary. Remove the victim from the source of contamination. IMMEDIATELY wash affected areas gently with COLD water (and soap, if necessary) while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Dry carefully with clean, soft towels. If symptoms such as inflammation or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician or go to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.