A colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor.
In ethchlorvynol assay.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Irritant
R 11 36/37/38
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
144 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
3.3 (butyl acetate=1)
1.0745 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.39 cp (40 C)
20.1 g/s2 (20 C)
1.3998 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep refrigerated. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Flammables-area. Do not store in metal containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Take precautionary measures against static discharges. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Do not expose spill to water. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acids, alcohols, amines, strong bases, esters, ketones, aldehydes, acetone, ammonia, and strong oxidizing agents. Reacts violently with water to liberate an acidic gas which in contact with metal surfaces can generate flammable or explosive hydrogen gas.
Hydrogen chloride, chlorine, phosgene, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, silicon oxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Reacts violently with water. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Extinguishing media: DO NOT USE WATER! Do NOT get water inside containers. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. For small fires, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical, dry sand, or alcohol-resistant foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapor may explode if ignited in an enclosed area. Reacts vigorously with water to generate hydrogen chloride. Hydrogen chloride and phosgene gases may be formed upon heating or in fire. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns. Lachrymator.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.