- Dinitrophenol (mixed isomers)
A yellow crystalline solid.
Dyes, especially sulfur colors, picric acid, picramic acid, preservation of lumber, manufacture of the photographic developer diaminophenol hydrochloride, explosives manufacture, indicator, reagent for k and nh4 ions.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Danger of cumulative effects; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide
Melting point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.68 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Dinitrophenol. Should be stored in a cool ventilated place away from area of acute fire hazard, and away from powerful oxidizing agents.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
People exposed to the solid or to a strong soln should wear protective clothing, hand protection and, in confined spaces, the use of respiratory protective equipment.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Keep spilled material wet. Do not attempt to sweep up dry material. Land spill: Dig a pit, pond, lagoon, holding area to contain liquid or solid material. Cover solids with a plastic sheet to prevent dissolving in rain or fire fighting water. Water spill: Use natural deep water pockets, excavated lagoons, or sand bag barriers to trap material at bottom. If dissolved, in region of 10 ppm or greater concentration, apply activated carbon at ten times the spilled amount. Remove trapped material with suction hoses. Use mechanical dredges or lifts to remove immobilized masses of pollutants and precipitates.
Appear to be stable in acid solution, but are susceptible to decomposition by UV radiation in alkaline solution.
If mixed with reducing agents, including hydrides, sulfides and nitrides, they may begin a vigorous reaction that culminates in a detonation Reacts as weak organic acids Incompatible with strong reducing substances such as hydrides, nitrides, alkali metals, and sulfides.
When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of oxides of nitrogen. Prolonged exposure to fire or heat may result in the spontaneous decomposition and heating with a resultant explosion.
Dangerously explosive. Flood with water. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible.
May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. DRIED OUT material may explode if exposed to heat, flame, friction or shock; Treat as an explosive. Keep material wet with water or treat as an explosive. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. MAY EXPLODE AND THROW FRAGMENTS 1600 meters (1 MILE) OR MORE IF FIRE REACHES CARGO.
Toxic oxides of nitrogen are during produced during combustion of this material.
Blood pressure, pulse, respiratory rate, and temperature may all be elevated after exposure. In severe poisoning, restlessness, seizures, and coma may occur. Animal studies show developmental malformations involving the neurologic, ophthalmic, urologic, and skeletal systems of offsprings.
Nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain may be prominent.
Dyspnea, tachypnea, cyanosis, and pulmonary edema may occur.
Yellow staining of skin occurs following contact with nitrophenols. Diaphoresis is common.
Cataracts, secondary glaucoma, symblepharon, paresis of accomodation, and nystagmus have been reported.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth anddrink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Wash affected areas of skin and hair vigorously with soap and water. Dermal exposure is usually accompanied by a yellowish discoloration which does not have to be removed completely to prevent absorption.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #