- Trichloromethyl chloroformate
Colorless liquid. Odor similar to phosgene (freshly mown hay).
Organic synthesis, military poison gas.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
very toxic, corrosive
R 26 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
10 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.6525 g/cm3 (14 C)
Solubility in water
1.4584 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Corrosives area. Refrigerator (approx 4 C). Vent periodically
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Isolate area and deny entry. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Combines vigorously or explosively with water.
Metals, strong oxidizing agents, ammonia, isopropyl alcohol.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, hydrogen gas, hydrogen gas.
Small Fires: Dry chemical or carbon dioxide. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or regular foam.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors from liquefied gas are initially heavier than air and spread along ground. May react violently with water. Containers may explode when heated
During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion.
Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. Direct aspiration into the lungs may cause chemical pneumonitis, pulmonary edema, and hemorrhaging.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may produce coughing, nausea, and pulmonary edema. In rare instances, exposure may cause sensitization, resulting in inflammation of the mucous membranes and in eczematous eruptions.
Causes skin burns. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
Causes eye burns. Lachrymator.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
2915 90 20