- Dodecyl alcohol
- Lauryl alcohol
Colorless liquid at room temperature or white, colorless crystalline solid below 24 deg c. Unpleasant fatty odor at high concentrations, floral odor at low concentrations.
Manufacture of sulfuric acid esters which are use as wetting agents.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
irritant, dangerous for the environment
S 26 36
Tumorigen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
22 - 24
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.002 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.1 ppm (calculated)
Solubility in water
2.86 cp (80 C)
0.029493 n/m @ melting point
1.44 (25 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use.
Does not meet criteria
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, acids, strong bases, isocyanates, alliphatic amines.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Use carbon dioxide or dry chemical.
Slightly flammable. Combustion requires preheating.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Headache, dizziness, giddiness, ataxia, sedation and coma may occur.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.