• 2-Dimethylaminoethoxyphenyl-methyl-2-picoline
  • N,N-Dimethyl-2-phenyl-2-pyridylmethyl-b-N,N-dimethylaminoethyl ether
Clear colorless liquid.

Registry Numbers and Inventories.
RTECS class
Drug; Human Data
Beilstein Reference
Austrailia AICS
New Zealand

Formula mass
Boiling point, °C
126 (0.04 torr)
Solubility in water
Slightly soluble
Refractive index
1.5804 (20 C)
5.32 (pKb)

Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
When working with this chemical, you should wear impervious coveralls, shoe covers and gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
Small spills/leaks
If you should spill this chemical, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Seal the absorbent paper, as well as any of your clothing which may be contaminated, in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Wash any surfaces you may have contaminated with a strong soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
No data.
Incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides.

Fire fighting
This compound is not very flammable but any fire involving this compound may produce dangerous vapors. You should evacuate the area. All firefighters should wear full-body protective clothing and use self-contained breathing apparatuses. You should extinguish any fires involving this chemical with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide, foam, or halon extinguisher.

Exposure effects
Rapid heart rate is common. Elevated body temperature, abnormally low blood pressure, and elevated blood pressure have been reported. overdose may result in either CNS depression, including coma, or CNS stimulation, such as toxic psychosis. Subsequent seizures are not uncommon, especially in children. A higher incidence of seizures has been reported following pheniramine overdoses. Therapeutic use has been associated with acute dystonic reactions and dyskinesias. In general, there have been few reported teratogenic effects in humans, although animal studies have suggested that certain antihistamines have teratogenic potential. <br>Pyloric stenosis has occurred in infants following maternal use of antihistamines. <br>Small amounts of antihistamines are excreted in breast milk.
Overdose may cause anticholinergic effects of ileus and diminished bowel sounds. Nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite may occur .
Pneumonitis, chest tightness, and wheezing have been reported.
Skin may be flushed, warm and dry after overdose.
Anticholinergic effects, such as prolonged dialation of the pupils, nasal dryness and stuffiness, and mouth and throat dryness, can occur with overdose or therapeutic use.

First aid
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.