- Phenylphosphonothic acid, O-ethyl O-(4-nitrophenyl) ester
- O-Ethyl O-4-nitrophenyl phenyl phosphonothioate
- Ethyl p-Nitrophenyl benzenethionophosphonate
Light yellow crystalline powder with an aromatic odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Very toxic; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Drug; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
3E-7 (25 C)
1.275 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.5978 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat and open flame. Keep container closed. Store at 65-100F.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Ventilate area of spill. Cover with soda ash, mix, and spray with water. Place in container of water and allow to stand for 2 days, then neutralize with 6 molar hydrochloric acid.
Stable in neutral and acidic media but hydrolyzed by alkali. Stable at ordinary temperatures.
Avoid contact with strong oxidizers. Incompatible with alkaline pesticides.
Dangerous when heated to decomposition, emits highly toxic fumes of sulfur oxides, phosphorus oxides and nitrogen oxides.
(Non-Specific -- Organophosphorus Pesticide, n.o.s.) Stay upwind; keep out of low areas. Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. Fight fire from maximum distance. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material. Wear positive pressure breathing apparatus and special protective clothing.(Non-Specific -- Organophosphorus Pesticide, n.o.s.) For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, or foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or foam.
This material may burn but does not ignite readily.
This material Container may explode in heat of fire. Fire and runoff from fire control water may produce irritating or poisonous gases. Avoid strong oxidizers. Hydrolyzed by alkali.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV: ppm; 0.1 mg/m3 (as TWA) (skin) (ACGIH 1997). MAK: ppm; 0.5 mg/m3; III, H (1996). OSHA PEL: TWA 0.5 mg/m3 skin NIOSH REL: TWA 0.5 mg/m3 skin NIOSH IDLH: 5 mg/m3
Fever, low heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure, or rapid heart rate and elevated blood pressure may occur. Headache, dizziness, muscle spasms and profound weakness are common. Alterations of level of consciousness, anxiety, paralysis, seizures and coma may occur. Seizures may be more common in children.
Vomiting, hypersalivation, diarrhea, fecal incontinence and abdominal pain may occur.
Dyspnea, rales, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, or tachypnea may be noted. Noncardiogenic pulmonary edema may occur in severe cases. Chemical pneumonitis may be seen.
Sweating is a consistent but not universal sign.
Constriction of the pupil, tearing, and blurred vision are common. Prolonged dialation of the pupils may occur in severe poisonings. Opsoclonus has been reported in one case. Salivation commonly occurs.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Remove material from skin immediately. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
I; II; III