- Ethyl sulfhydrate
- Thioethyl alcohol
Colorless liquid with one of the most penetrating and persistent, leek- or garlic-like odors known.
Intermediate & starting material in manufacture of plastics, insecticides, antioxidants, odorant for natural gas.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment
R 11 20 50/53
S 16 25 60 61
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
442 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
581,700 ppm (58.2%) (calculated)
24.9 (n-butyl acetate = 1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.47 ppb
0.846 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.3155 cp (20 C)
23.63 g/s2 @ 2 C
1.4365 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep refrigerated. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood. This product may be under pressure; cool before opening. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Water spray may reduce vapor but may not prevent ignition in closed spaces.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, calcium hypochlorite.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Extremely flammable liquid. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. May accumulate static electrical charges, and may cause ignition of its own vapors. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT get water inside containers. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Dangerous, when exposed to heat or flame or oxidizers. Minimum ignition temperature in air: 299 C; in oxygen: 261 C can react vigorously with oxidizing materials.
Vapor is heavier than air and may travel long distance to a source of ignition and flash back; containers may explode in a fire.
Irritating fumes of sulfur dioxide are generated.
TLV: 0.5 ppm; 1.3 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1995-1996). OSHA PEL: C 10 ppm (25 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: C 0.5 ppm (1.3 mg/m3) 15-minute NIOSH IDLH: 500 ppm
Chronic ingestion may cause neurological symptoms.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause central nervous system effects.
Harmful if inhaled. Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause nausea, dizziness, and headache.
May cause skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.