- Silane, dichloroethyl
A colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor.
Chemical intermediate for silicones.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
50 (6 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.092 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
21.7 g/s2 (20 C)
1.4188 (20 C)
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep refrigerated. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Flammables-area. Do not store in metal containers.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Attempt to stop leak if without undue personnel hazard. Use water spray to knock-down vapors. Do not use water on material itself. Neutralize spilled material with crushed limestone, soda ash, or lime.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Keep away from water, alcohols, acids, oxidizers, platinum, platinum and iron salts.
Irritating fumes of HCl and organic acid vapors may develop if this material is exposed to water or open flame.
Do not extinguish fire unless flow can be stopped. Use alcohol foam, dry chemical or carbon dioxide. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Do not use water on material itself. If large quantities of combustibles are involved, use water in flooding quantities as spray and fog. Use water spray to knock-down vapors.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Difficult to extinguish; re-ignition may occur. Contact with water applied to adjacent fires produces irritating hydrogen chloride fumes and flammable hydrogen gas.
Toxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene gases may be formed.
Gastrointestinal tissue corrosion was observed in animals given single oral doses and may occur in humans following ingestion.
Three cases of permanently disabling reactive airway syndrome have been reported in adults exposed for several hours to fumes of sodium hydroxide, trichlorosilane, and silicon tetrachloride.
The application of chlorosilanes to shaved rabbit skin produced various degrees of irritation. Complete denaturation and tissue sloughing occurred within one minute after exposure to dichlorodimethylsilane, within two to three minutes after exposure to methyltrichlorosilane, ethyltrichlorosilane, and dichlorodiethylsilane, and within 10 minutes after exposure to tetrachlorosilane.
May cause burns.
Dilution: immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 4 ounces/120 ml in a child). Do not induce vomiting.
Remove to fresh air; give artificial respiration if required.
Flush with water.
Flush with water for 15 min.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #