Ethylmercurithiosalicylic acid, sodium salt
- Merthiolate sodium
Pharmaceutic aid (preservative), bactericide, fungicide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
very toxic, dangerous for the environment
R 26/27/28 33 50/53
S 13 28.1 36 45 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Drug; Organometallic; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Melting point, °C
232 - 233
Decomposition point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from metals. Store protected from light.
Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Store protected from light. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong acids, strong bases, strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, mercury/mercury oxides, sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode when heated. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
This material is probably combustible.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
OEL-UNITED KINGDOM:TWA 0.05 mg(Hg)/m3;STEL 0.15 mg(Hg)/m3
Effects may be delayed. Chronic exposure to mercury may cause permanent central nervous system damage, fatigue, weight loss, tremors, personality changes. Chronic ingestion may cause accumulation of mercury in body tissues. Chronic ingestion may result in salicylism which is characterized by nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal ulcers, and hemorrhagic strokes. Reproductive effects have been reported in animals. Chronic exposure to mercury vapors may produce weakness, fatigue, anorexia, loss of weight and gastrointestinal disturbances which is collectively referred to as asthenic-vegetative syndrome or micromercurialism. Chronic exposure to mercury compounds may produce immunologic glomerular disease.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause kidney damage. Mercaptans may cause nausea and headache. Exposure to high concentrations of mercaptans can produce unconsciousness with cyanosis, cold extremities and rapid pulse. May cause central nervous system effects and/or neurological effects. Human fatalities have been reported from acute poisoning.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause kidney damage. May cause allergic respiratory tract irritation. Exposure to high concentrations of mercaptans can produce unconsciousness with cyanosis, cold extremities and rapid pulse. Mercaptans may cause nausea and headache. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema. Acute exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapors may cause severe respiratory tract irritation. May cause central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous system effects.
Causes skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause erythema, and edema with crusting and scaling.
Causes eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2930 90 70