Ferrous sulfate hydrate
- Iron(II) sulfate hepatahydrate
A greenish or yellow-brown crystalline solid.
Used for water or sewage treatment, as a fertilizer ingredient.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Mutagen
Japan ENCS (MITI)
FeO4S . 7H2O
Vapor density (air=1)
1.90 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a cool, dry area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Alkalis, carbonates (soluble), gold salts, lead acetate, lime water, potassium, potassium iodide, Silver salts, sodium borate, sodium tartrate, tannin. Substance oxidizes when in contact with moisture to form ferric sulfate.
Oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Decomposes at high temperatures, resulting in toxic and corrosive products. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. Use water spray, dry chemical, or foam.
Substance is noncombustible. Decomposes at high temperatures, resulting in toxic and corrosive products.
Some may burn but none ignite readily. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Containers may explode when heated. Some may be transported hot.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
3 (Strong toxins)
Repeated exposure may increase iron levels in the liver, spleen and lymphatic system. Damage may occur in the spleen and liver.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation. May cause digestive tract disturbances.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause mild eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
2833 29 50
Std. Transport #