- Divinyl oxide
A clear colorless liquid with a strong odor.
Chemical intermediate for tetrahydrofuran.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Extremely flammable; May form explosive peroxides; Carcinogenic Category 2; Mutagenic Category 3; Harmful; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
R 45 12 19 20/22 38 48/22 52/53
S 53 45 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
493 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1870 g/m3 (20 C)
0.9371 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
< 1 mg/ml
0.39 cp (25 C)
24.57 g/s2 (16 C)
1.4216 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Regularly check inhibitor levels to maintain peroxide levels below 1%. After opening, purge container with nitrogen before reclosing. Periodically test for peroxide formation on long-term storage. Addition of water or appropriate reducing materials will lessen peroxide formation.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. If peroxide formation is suspected, do not open or move container. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Do not distill since this removes peroxide-inhibitors.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May form peroxides in the absence on inhibitors
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Extremely flammable liquid. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. May polymerize explosively when involved in a fire. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Highly dangerous when exposed to heat or flame
Very dangerous, upon exposure to heat or flame. It may form unstable peroxides on exposure to air. Contact with acids can initiate a violent, heat producing reaction. Avoid acids, oxidizing agents. Upon standing in air, it may form unstable peroxides.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
I-2B, N-2, CP65
Chronic exposure may cause liver damage.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver damage.
Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. May cause nausea, dizziness, and headache. Inhalation may cause respiratory tract irritation, oppression in the chest, dyspnea, central nervous system depression, and temporary visual disturbances.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation. At high concentrations may cause lacrimation (tearing) and irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
2932 19 00
Std. Transport #