- 3-Hydroxypropylene oxide
Odorless clear colorless liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 2; Mutagenic Category 3; Toxic for reproduction Category 2; Toxic; Harmful; Irritant
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
163 - 164
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.75 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.127 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
1.435 (16 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Wash area with soap and water. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
May decompose on exposure to moist air or water.
Oxidizing agents, strong acids, bases, metals.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acrid smoke and fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Combustible Liquid. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or alcohol-resistant foam.
This chemical is combustible.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV: 25 ppm; 76 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1993-1994). OSHA PEL: TWA 50 ppm (150 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 25 ppm (75 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 150 ppm
G-A3, I-2A, N-2, CP65
May cause cancer according to animal studies. Repeated exposure may cause sensitization dermatitis. Repeated exposure may cause allergic respiratory reaction (asthma). May cause reproductive and fetal effects.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Ingestion may cause initial CNS excitation, followed by CNS depression.
Harmful if inhaled. May cause allergic respiratory reaction. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Inhalation of vapors causes irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation may produce burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
Causes skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Substance is rapidly absorbed through the skin. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Vapors cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.