Clear, colorless liquid. Sharp, butyric acid odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 34 37
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
10 (25 C)
1.764 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.62 cp (25 C)
17.5 g/s2 (20 C)
1.297 (10 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Corrosives area. Water free area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation. Do not get water on spilled substances or inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidants and reducing agents. Will react with water or steam to produce corrosive fumes.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Will react with water to form toxic and corrosive fumes. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. If water is the only media available, use in flooding amounts. DO NOT USE WATER! Do NOT get water inside containers. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Causes gastrointestinal tract burns.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns. May result in corneal injury.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III