A white free-flowing odorless powder.
Antibacterial agent for soaps (eg, deodorant soaps), surgical scrubs, nurseries, hospital equipment, & cosmetics, fungicide (eg, for vegetables-eg, tomatoes & peppers), ornamentals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Drug; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Attempt to stop leak if without undue personnel hazard.
Incompatible with strong oxidizers.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Keep run-off water out of sewers and water sources.
Contain toxic and irritating chloride fumes.
Lethargy frequently occurs as an early manifestation of toxicity. Muscular fasciculations, irritability, weakness, intracranial hypertension, and respiratory arrest may develop, leading in some cases to death.
Nausea, vomiting, anorexia, and diarrhea frequently occur as early signs of toxicity. Abdominal pain may occur.
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
An erythematous desquamative or allergic contact dermatitis rash may occur.
Blindness has occurred following repeated ingestions.
If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. MMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #