Hydrazine, aqueous solution, with not more than 37% Hydrazine
Colorless oily liquid. Penetrating odor resembling ammonia.
Reactant in fuel cells in military uses, reducing agent in electrodless nickel plating, chain extender in urethane polymerizations, reducing agent in plutonium extraction from reactor waste, water treatment agent-eg, for the removal of halogens.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Flammable; Carcinogenic Category 2; Toxic; Corrosive; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
14 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 3-4 ppm
1.011 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.044 cp (15 C)
66.7 g/s2 at 25 C
1.46979 (20 C)
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Storage under a nitrogen blanket has been recommended.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Use water spray to disperse the gas/vapor. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Water spray may reduce vapor but may not prevent ignition in closed spaces.
Substance is highly reactive reducing agent. Incompatible with oxidizing agents (including air), acids, and some metal oxides and metals. Substance may spontaneously ignite in air when in contact with porous materials. Ignites on contact with dinitrogen oxide and tetroxide, hydrogen peroxide, tetryl, and nitric acid. Explodes on contact with dicyanofurazan, n-halomides, potassium, silver compounds, sodium hydroxide, titanium compounds, and trioxygen difluoride. Explosive compounds may result from contact with air, chloromethylnitrobenzene, lithium perchlorate, metal salts, methanol + nitromethane, sodium , and sodium perchlorate. Also incompatible with barium oxide or calcium oxide, benzeneseleninic acid or anhydride, calcium, carbon dioxide + stainless steel, 1-chloro-2,4-dinitrobenzene, cotton waste + heavy metals, (difluoroamino)difluoroacetonitrile, iodine pentoxide, rust, ruthenium(III) oxide, thiocarbonyl azide thiocyanate,
Oxides of nitrogen, ammonia and/or derivatives.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Autoignition temperature varies based upon contact surface. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Very flammable. Combustion probable.
It is a flammable/combustible material and may be ignited by heat, sparks, or flames. Vapor may travel to a source of ignition and flash back. Container may explode in heat of fire. Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors, or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Vapors form explosive mixtures with air. May continue to burn in the absence of air. Decomposition gives off toxic nitrogen compound fumes. Can catch fire when in contact with porous materials such as wood, asbestos, cloth, earth, and rusty metals. Incompatible with oxidizers, hydrogen peroxide, nitric acid, metal oxides, and strong acids.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
OSHA PEL: TWA 1 ppm (1.3 mg/m3) skin NIOSH REL: Ca C 0.03 ppm (0.04 mg/m3) 2-hour See Appendix A NIOSH IDLH: Potential occupational carcinogen 50 ppm
G-A3, I-2B, N-2, CP65
Repeated inhalation may cause chronic bronchitis. May cause cancer according to animal studies. Repeated exposure may cause sensitization dermatitis. May cause reproductive and fetal effects.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver and kidney damage. Causes digestive tract burns with immediate pain, swelling of the throat, convulsions, and possible coma. Exposure may cause anemia and other blood abnormalities.
Harmful if inhaled. Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause liver and kidney damage. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. Vapors may cause dizziness, nausea, itching, burning, and swelling of the eyes.
May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Contact with liquid is corrosive and causes severe burns and ulceration. Contact with the skin may dissolve hair.
May cause irreversible eye injury. Exposure to the vapors or liquid may cause temporary blindness. Causes severe eye irritation and burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #