Hydrazine sulfate

  • Hydrazinum sulfate
  • Hydrazinium(2+) sulfate
Formula
N2H6SO4
Structure
Description
A white crystalline solid.
Uses
In the gravimetric estimation of nickel, cobalt and cadmium, rare metal refining, prepn of hydrazine hydrate, antioxidant in soldering flux for light metals, reducing agent in the analysis of minerals and slags, in separating polonium from tellurium, in tests for blood, for destroying fungi and molds.

Registry Numbers and Inventories.
CAS
10034-93-2
EC (EINECS/ELINCS)
233-110-4
EC Index Number
007-014-00-6
EC Class
carcinogenic, toxic, sensitizing, dangerous for the environment
R 45 23/24/25 43 50/53
S 53 45 60 61
RTECS
MV9625000
RTECS class
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Human Data; Primary Irritant
UN (DOT)
1759
Merck
13,4791
Beilstein/Gmelin
17766 (G)
Swiss Giftliste 1
G-5335
Canada DSL/NDSL
DSL
US TSCA
Listed
Austrailia AICS
Listed
New Zealand
Listed
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Listed
Korea ECL
Listed

Properties.
Formula
H6N2O4S
Formula mass
130.12
Melting point, °C
254
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 1-10 ppm
Density
1.370 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Soluble

Hazards and Protection.
Storage
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep containers tightly closed. Storage under a nitrogen blanket has been recommended.
Handling
Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Avoid mechanical shock and friction.
Protection
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Respirators
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Small spills/leaks
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions.
Disposal code
9
Stability
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Substance is shock sensitive and thermally unstable.
Incompatibilities
Oxidizing agents, bases.
Decomposition
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide.

Fire.
Fire fighting
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Material is shock sensitive and potentially explosive. Greatly increases the burning rate of combustible materials. May decompose explosively when heated or involved in a fire. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Fire potential
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Hazards
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Combustion products
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Health
3
 
Flammability
1
 
 
Reactivity
0
 

Health.
Carcinogin
N-2, CP65
Poison_Class
1*
Exposure effects
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause sensitization dermatitis and possible destruction and/or ulceration. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause cancer according to animal studies. Repeated exposure may cause allergic respiratory reaction (asthma).
   Ingestion
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. Exposure may cause anemia and other blood abnormalities. May be harmful if swallowed.
   Inhalation
May cause allergic respiratory reaction. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation and possible burns.
   Skin
May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
   Eyes
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause eye injury.

First aid
 
   Ingestion
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
   Inhalation
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
   Skin
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Destroy contaminated shoes.
   Eyes
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.

Transport.
UN number
1759
Response guide
Hazard class
8
Packing Group
I; II; III
 
HS Code
2825 10 00