Hydrogen peroxide, aqueous solution (8-20%)
- Hydrogen dioxide
A crystalline solid at low temperatures.
Microbiocide, Fungicide, Herbicide, Rodenticide, Reducing Agent, Bleaching Agent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
R 8 34
S 3 28 36/39 45
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2 (25 C)
Solubility in water
80.4 g/s2 @ 20 C
1.34 (20 C)
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Protect against physical damage. Store at in cool, ventilated noncombustible area in vented containers, remote from combustible, organic, readily oxidizable materials and catalytic metals.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Caution : Explosion potential is high. Hydrogen peroxide may ignite combustable materials. Keep unnecessary people away; isolate hazard area and deny entry. Stay upwind; keep out of low areas. Keep combustibles (wood, paper, oil, etc.) away from spilled material. Do not touch spilled material; stop leak if you can do it without risk. Use water spray to reduce vapors; do not get water inside container. Small dry spills: with clean shovel place material into clean, dry container and cover; move containers from spill area. Small spills: flush area with flooding amounts of water. Large spills: dike far ahead of spill for later disposal.
Reactive at high temperature or pressure (27.5% - 52%). 52% or more reactive under confinement, extreme caution. Common air contaminant.
May react violently.
Keep unnecessary people away; isolate hazard area and deny entry. Stay upwind; keep out of low areas. Wear self-contained (positive pressure if available) breathing apparatus and full protective clothing. Move container from fire area if you can do it without risk. Cool containers that are exposed to flames with water from the side until well after fire is out. For massive fire in cargo area, use unamnned hose holder or monitor nozzles; if this is impossible, withdraw from area and let fire burn.Not flammable. Fires should be fought with water since the use of chemical extinguishants may accelerate decomposition. Small fires: water only; no dry chemical or carbon dioxide. Large fires: flood fire area with water.
Spontaneous ignition may occur when contact with combustible materials is made. Oxygen released in decomposition will promote combustion. Fires can be of the flaring type but are not explosive unless confined. Vapor concentration greater than 40 percent by weight can be decomposed explosively at 1 atmosphere pressure. Severe explosion hazard when it is exposed to heat, mechanical impact, detonation of a blasting cap, or caused to decompose catalytically. Decomposition can build up large pressures of oxygen and water which may then burst explosively. Avoid oxidizable materials including iron, copper, brass, bronze, chromium, zinc, lead, manganese, silver, catalytic metals. Avoid mechanical impact, uncovering the container, contact with combustible materials, light, temperatures above 95F, hot wires, catalytic impurities.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
TLV: 1 ppm; 1.4 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1992-1993). OSHA PEL: TWA 1 ppm (1.4 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 1 ppm (1.4 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 75 ppm
Abnormally low blood pressure and apnea have been reported with severe poisonings. Cerebral edema, cerebral gas embolism, cerebral infarction, and seizures have been reported following ingestion of concentrated (35%) solutions. Death has been reported as a result of embolic cerebrovascular injury.
Serious gi complications have resulted from the ingestion of concentrated solutions and enemas with dilute peroxide solutions.
Inhalation of vapors from concentrated (greater than 10%) solutions may result in severe pulmonary irritation. Interstitial lung disease and respiratory arrest have also been reported following massive exposures.
Dermal exposure to dilute (3%) solutions generally results in a bleaching of the affected area in association with a tingling sensation and lasts 2 to 3 hours, if washed promptly after contact.
Seek medical assistance.
Monitor for respiratory tract irritation and hypoxia after severe inhalation exposure.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Immediately flush skin or eyes with running water for at least 20 minutes.