- Hydrogen dioxide
- Hydrogen peroxide, aqueous solution
Clear, colorless liquid with a slight acrid odor. Aqueous solution (3-60 %) Properties are for a 20% solution.
Microbiocide, Fungicide, Herbicide, Rodenticide, Reducing Agent, Bleaching Agent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
R 8 34
S 3 28 36/39 45
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
70 (in water)
Vapor pressure, mmHg
25 (30 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
>1 (butyl acetate=1)
Solubility in water
0.01249 P (20 C)
80.4 g/s2 (20 C)
1.34 (20 C)
92.8 (18 C)
0.000785/K (20 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool(< 35C), well-ventilated dark area separated from combustible substances, reducing agents, strong bases, organics.Do not store on wooden shelves or floors. Suggest rotation of stock. Containers must be vented, but check periodically for bulging containers which can burst from pressure. Protect containers from physical damage, contamination, heat and incompatibles.. Contamination from any source (dust, metals) may cause rapid decomposition with generation of large quantities of oxygen gas and high pressures.
C D2A E
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear a supplied air, full-facepiece respirator, airlined hood, or full-facepiece self-contained breathing apparatus. This substance has unknown warning properties.
Caustic material. Causes fires with organic material. Ventilate area of leak or spill. Contain and recover liquid when possible. Do not return spilled material to original container. Larger Spills: Dilute with a large amount of water and hold in a pond or dyked area until the peroxide decomposes followed by discharge into a suitable treatment system. May be neutralized with sodium metabisulfite or sodium sulfite after diluting to 5-10% peroxide. Do not flush undiluted material to sewer. This oxidizing material can increase the flammability of adjacent combustible materials. Empty containers should be rinsed with water before discarding.
Normally stable if uncontaminated, but slowly decomposes to release oxygen. Unstable with heat, may result in dangerous pressures.
reducing agents, organic materials, dirt, alkalis, rust, and many metals.
Decomposes to water and oxygen with rapid heat release.
Wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode. Water spray may be used to extinguish surrounding fire and cool exposed containers. Water spray will also reduce fume and irritant gases.
Not combustible, but substance is a strong oxidizer and its heat of reaction with reducing agents or combustibles may cause ignition. Increases the flammability of combustible, organic and readily oxidizable materials.
Contact with oxidizable substances may cause extremely violent combustion. Drying of concentrated hydrogen peroxide on clothing or other combustible materials may cause fire or explosion. Sealed containers may rupture when heated.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
TLV: 1 ppm; 1.4 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1992-1993). OSHA PEL: TWA 1 ppm (1.4 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 1 ppm (1.4 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 75 ppm
Abnormally low blood pressure and apnea have been reported with severe poisonings. Cerebral edema, cerebral gas embolism, cerebral infarction, and seizures have been reported following ingestion of concentrated (35%) solutions. Death has been reported as a result of embolic cerebrovascular injury.
Corrosive and irritating to the mouth, throat, and abdomen. Large doses may cause symptoms of abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea as well as blistering or tissue destruction. Stomach distention (due to rapid liberation of oxygen), and risk of stomach perforation, convulsions, pulmonary edema, coma, possible cerebral edema (fluid on the brain), and death are possible.
Vapors are corrosive and irritating to the respiratory tract. Inhalation of mist may burn the mucous membrane of the nose and throat. In severe cases, exposures may result in pulmonary edema and death.
Corrosive. Symptoms of redness, pain, and severe burn can occur.
Vapors are very corrosive and irritating to the eyes. Symptoms include pain, redness and blurred vision. Splashes can cause permanent tissue destruction.
Seek medical assistance.
Monitor for respiratory tract irritation and hypoxia after severe inhalation exposure.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Immediately flush skin or eyes with running water for at least 20 minutes.