- 6-Hydroxy-7-(3-methyl-2-butenyloxy)-5-benzofuranacrylic acid omega-lactone
Prisms from ether; long fine needles from hot water.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
practically insoluble in cold water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
dizziness, depression, and headache have been reported with use, as have nervousness and insomnia. Seizures have been reported in animal studies.
Nausea and abdominal pain have occurred.
Erythema and bizarre pigmentation have been seen. Superficial and deep second-degree burns to the skin have been reported following puva therapy. At therapeutic doses, 8-mop will cause more dermal reactions than 5-mop.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash exposed area with soap and water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
Uv absorbing wrap should be used around sunglasses for 24 hours after methoxsalen ingestions. This decreases the potential for cataract formation.