- Iodomethyl methyl ether
- (Iodomethyl) methyl ether
- Methoxymethyl iodide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
10 23/24/25 34 40
16 26 36/37/39 45
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
16 (25 C)
2.03 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
86 g/L (25 C)
1.546 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Store in a cool dry place. Handle and store under nitrogen. Store at 2 - 8 C.
Compatible chemical-resistant gloves. Chemical safety goggles. Protective clothing.
Use respirators and components tested and approved under appropriate government standards such as NIOSH (US) or CEN (EU). Where risk assessment shows air-purifying respirators are appropriate use a full-face respirator with multi-purpose combination (US) or type AXBEK (EN 14387) respirator cartridges as a backup to engineering controls. If the respirator is the sole means of protection, use a full-face supplied air respirator.
Cover with dry lime or soda ash, pick up, keep in a closed container, and hold for waste disposal. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
Light sensitive. Readily hydrolyzed.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, Carbon dioxide, Hydrogen iodide.
For small (incipient) fires, use media such as alcohol foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. For large fires, apply water from as far as possible. Use very large quantities (flooding) of water applied as a mist or spray; solid streams of water may be ineffective. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions. Irritant. Lachrymator. Vapor may travel considerable distance to source of ignition and flash back.
May be fatal if inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through skin. Possible carcinogen. Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
Material is irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
In case of contact, immediately wash skin with soap and copious amounts of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.