- Iron carbonyl
- Pentacarbonyl iron
A yellow to dark red liquid.
To make finely divided iron, so-called carbonyl iron, which is used in the manufacture of powdered iron cores for high frequency coils used in the radio and television industry, as antiknock agent in motor fuels, as catalyst and reagent in organic reactions.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.457 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.453 (20 C)
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep container closed when not in use. Refrigerator/flammables. Store under nitrogen. Store in a cool, dry area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Use and store under nitrogen. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Do not breathe vapors.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Powder or liquid is pyrophoric. Decomposes on exposure to air and light. Reacts violently with water.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong bases, amines, halogens, hydrogen, carbontetrachloride, alkalies, mercaptans, mercury salts.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective.
Flammable, dangerous fire risk. Pyrophoric in air; burns to Fe2O3.
This material may be ignited by heat, sparks, or flames. Vapors may travel to ignition source and flash back. Containers may explode in the heat of fire. Evolution of carbon monoxide may create a poison hazard. This material presents a vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors, or in sewers. Evolves carbon monoxide on exposure to air or to light. Emits carbon monoxide when heated to decomposition. Avoid acetic acid, water, nitrogen oxide, transition metal halides, and zinc and it burns in air. Decomposes in acids and alkalies. Protect from light and air.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV (as Fe): 0.1 ppm; 0.23 mg/m3 (STEL : 0.2 ppm; 0.45 mg/m3) (ACGIH 1994). NIOSH REL: TWA 0.1 ppm (0.23 mg/m3) ST 0.2 ppm (0.45 mg/m3)
Effects may be delayed. In 12-36 hours fever, cyanosis, cough, chest pain, shortness of breath , and circulatory collapse may occur. Death may occur from overexposu re within 4-11 days due to pneumonia, liver and kidney damage, vascula r injury and CNS degeneration.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause central nervous system depression, kidney damage, and liver damage. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Immediate symptoms include headache and dizziness.
May be fatal if inhaled. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema. Vapors have strong effect on respiratory organs and mucous membranes. May cause nausea and vomiting. Continued inhalation causes unconscio usness.
May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. May cause severe skin irritation and burns. Substance is readily absorbed through the skin. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
May cause eye irritation and possible burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. SPEEDY ACTION IS CRITICAL!
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #