Iron(II) fluoride tetrahydrate
- Ferrous fluoride tetrahydrate
- Iron difluoride tetrahydrate
FeF2 : 4H2O
colorless hexagonal crystals
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
22 26 27 36/37/39 45
Boiling point, °C
2.2 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Store in a cool dry place.
Compatible chemical-resistant gloves. Chemical safety goggles. Protective clothing. Faceshield (8-inch minimum).
Wear appropriate government approved respirator.
Absorb on sand or vermiculite and place in closed containers for disposal. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
May decompose on exposure to moist air or water. Avoid contact with acids and strong bases.
Hydrogen fluoride, iron, iron salts.
Extinguish with dry chemical powder . Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Corrosive. Harmful dust. Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions.
Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. Overdose of iron compounds may have a corrosive effect on the gastrointestinal mucosa and be followed by necrosis, perforation, and stricture formation. Several hours may elapse before symptoms that can include epigastric pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and hematemesis occur. After apparent recovery a person may experience metabolic acidosis, convulsions, and coma hours or days later. Further complications may develop leading to acute liver necrosis that can result in death due to hepatic coma. Symptoms of fluoride overexposure may include salivation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, and labored breathing. Fluoride ion can reduce serum calcium levels possibly causing fatal hypocalcemia. Prolonged exposure to fluoride dusts, vapors, or mists results in perforation of the nasal septum. Chronic effects include excessive calcification of the bones, ligaments, and tendons. Material is extremely destructive to tissue of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract, eyes, and skin. Inhalation may result in spasm, inflammation and edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
In case of contact, immediately wash skin with soap and copious amounts of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.