Iron(III) nitrate nonahydrate
- Ferric nitrate nonahydrate
Violet-gray hygroscopic crystals
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 8 36/37/38
S 17 26 36
Japan ENCS (MITI)
FeN3O9 . 9 H2O
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
1.6429 g/cm3 (65.2 C)
Solubility in water
106.53 cp (20.6 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from moisture. Store protected from light.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Keep away from clothing and other combustible materials.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Wear a self contained breathing apparatus and appropriate Personal protection. (See Exposure Controls, Personal Protection section). Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal shipping and handling conditions. However, may decompose if heated. May discolor on exposure to light.
Reducing agents, moisture, heat, combustible materials, strong reducing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Oxidizer. Greatly increases the burning rate of combustible materials. Some oxidizers may react explosively with hydrocarbons(fuel). Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Use water only! Do NOT use carbon dioxide or dry chemical. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. For large fires flood fire with water from a distance.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
3 (Strong toxins)
May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death. Effects may be delayed.
May cause central nervous system depression, kidney damage, and liver damage. May cause cardiac disturbances. May cause burns to the gastrointestinal tract. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause conjunctivitis. May cause permanent corneal opacification.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
2834 29 80