Clear, colorless liquid with an ammonia-like or fishy odor.
Organic synthesis, insecticides.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, harmful, corrosive
R 11 20/22 35
S 16 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
92 (16 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Approximately 132000 ppm (13.2%) at 19 C (calculated)
0.7344 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.553 cp (25 C)
21.75 g/s2 @ 25 C
1.3988 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
B2 D1B E
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Alkali metals, copper, copper alloys, halogens, organic acids, phenols, vinyl acetate, epichlorohydrin, alcohols and glycols (e.g. butyl alcohol, ethanol, methanol, ethylene glycol), aldehydes (e.g. acetaldehyde, acrolein, chloral hydrate, formaldehyde), isocyanates (e.g. methyl isocyanate), ketones (e.g. acetone, acetophenone, MEK, MIBK), organic anhydrides, mineral acids.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, nitrogen.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Extremely flammable liquid. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Dangerous, when exposed to heat or flame; can react vigorously with oxidizing materials
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Toxic oxides of nitrogen may be formed in fire.
MAK: 5 ppm; 15 mg/m3; skin (1993).
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Inhalation can cause headache and dryness of nose and throat.
Causes severe skin irritation. May cause blistering of the skin.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.