Isobutylene is a colorless gas with a faint petroleum-like odor. For transportation it may be stenched.
Used to produce trimers & other polymers of isobutylene, to produce antioxidants for foods, to produce antioxidants for packaging, food supplements, & for plastics.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2308 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.5942 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.0081 cp (30)
12.3 g/s2 (20 C)
1.5072 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles. Always wear thermal protective clothing when handling refrigerated/cryogenic liquids.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Attempt to stop leak if without undue personnel hazard. Use water spray to knock-down vapors.
Volatile liquid or easily liquefied gas. he substance is able to polymerize with fire or explosion hazard.
Incompatible with oxidizers Reacts easily with numerous materials, such as alkyl halides, halogens, concentrated sulfuric acid, hypochlorous acid, aluminum chloride, carbon monoxide and hydrogen with a cobalt catalyst.
When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and fumes.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Do not extinguish fire unless flow can be stopped. Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible.
A very dangerous fire and explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame.
Containers may explode in fire. Vapor is heavier than air and may travel a long distance to a source of ignition and flash back.
Mild central nervous system depression or excitation may occur after ingestion or vapor inhalation. CNS effects can occur secondary to hydrocarbon pneumonitis and hypoxia, or from additives and contaminants (aniline, heavy metals, camphor, or pesticides). Some hydrocarbons are simple asphyxiants (e.G., Methane, ethane, propane gasses) which can produce CNS effects secondary to hypoxia. In a prospective study in Toronto, major congenital malformations were noted in 13 of 125 fetuses of mothers exposed to organic solvents during pregnancy.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain may occur following ingestion.
Coughing, choking, tachypnea, dyspnea, cyanosis, rales, hemoptysis, pulmonary edema, pneumatoceles, lipoid pneumonia, or respiratory arrest may develop following ingestion and aspiration.
Contact with gas or liquefied gas may cause burns, severe injury and/or frostbite.
May cause irritation.
This compound is a gas, therefore inhalation is the first route of exposure.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
CAUTION: Exposure of skin to compressed gases may result in freezing of the skin. Treatment for frostbite may be necessary. Remove the victim from the source of contamination. IMMEDIATELY wash affected areas gently with COLD water (and soap, if necessary) while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Dry carefully with clean, soft towels. If symptoms such as inflammation or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician or go to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.