- Benzyl isocyanide
- Benzyl isonitrile
Clear, colorless to pale yellow liquid. Unpleasant/obnoxious odor. Stench.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Boiling point, °C
105 - 106 (77 torr)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Chemical splash goggles, protective gloves and clothing.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29 CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Use a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator if exposure limits are exceeded or if irritation or other symptoms are experienced.
Absorb spill with inert material (e.g. vermiculite, sand or earth), then place in suitable container. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Approach spill from upwind.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents, strong acids, strong bases.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Approach fire from upwind to avoid hazardous vapors and toxic decomposition products. Use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
Combustible liquid and vapor.
May be metabolized to cyanide which in turn acts by inhibiting cytochrome oxidase impairing cellular respiration. Chronic exposure to cyanide solutions may lead to the development of a cyanide rash, characterized by itching, and by macular, papular, and vesicular eruptions, and may be accompanied by secondary infections. Exposure to small amounts of cyanide compounds over long periods of time is reported to cause loss of appetite, headache, weakness, nausea, dizziness, and symptoms of irritation of the upper respiratory tract and eyes.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
Harmful if inhaled. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause an allergic response.
Causes irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
Get medical aid. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.